Remembered for Good

July 4, 2024by Rajeev Hora9

A recent news item in the Hindustan Times by Santanu Das (03 Jul 24) reads as follows:

Anant Ambani spotted wearing 12.5 crore watch that’s got only 30 pieces in the world.

All eyes were on Anant Ambani’s watch as he was seen meeting a friend a few days ago. The youngest son of India’s business tycoon and Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani, Anant is well known for his fancy watch collection featuring rare items from Patek Philippe and Richard Mille. For the occasion, he chose a striking product from the house of Richard Mille, which is their RM 52-05, that is also the first watch to bear the name of Pharrell Williams.

The details of the watch were first shared by the Instagram page – The Indian Horology. Anant opted for an ethnic look for the day and paired the rare watch from the brand Richard Mille (RM 52-05 Tourbillon Pharell Williams). The market price of the watch stands at a whooping $1.5 million, that amounts to ₹ 12.53 crore. The page also added the detail that this limited edition product only has 30 available pieces in the world.

The official page of Richard Mille details the design of the watch and adds, “Grade 5 titanium is a biocompatible, highly corrosion-resistant and remarkably rigid alloy that enables the gear train to function effortlessly. The alloy is 90% titanium, 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium.”

The interior space is designed to give the look of the cosmos, with resembles the confines of the universe and its stars. Meanwhile, the design report also adds that the sapphire used to create that design of the cosmos, is a “tripartite case of the RM 52-05 is milled and ground from blocks of solid sapphire by the prestigious and highly specialized experts Stettler in Lyss, Switzerland.”

I am left wondering as to what is the purpose of this news item? Is it to make me envious? Or to make me feel a lesser being? Or make me feel ambitious to strive for similar infructuous riches? Or is it an advertisement jointly paid for by the watch designer and the gentleman sporting it?

For that matter, a humble watch gifted to me on my wedding day still works fine. Shows me the same time as dear Anant’s exorbitantly expensive piece of jewellery. In fact, it reminds me of the good times we have spent together.

If it is about accuracy, my smart Phone displays a fairly accurate GPS time. I don’t need any more accuracy even for a strike mission. More importantly, what I do with my time is more important to me than where and how it gets displayed.

Rs 12.53 crore is surely a decent amount of money. Could easily provide a very healthy meal to over 12 lakh children. Or could even support a start-up to set up a watch industry. And by the way, who are these two gentleman, ‘Patek Philippe and Richard Mille’? Never heard of them before this. Making quite a killing, no doubt.

Of course, it is dear Anant’s sole prerogative to do whatever he wishes to do with his money or his inheritance. Everyone knows that such news trinkets emerge from media houses who are paid to keep people in the news. They could however consider that it is better that their clients are ‘Remembered for Good’ rather than what they own.

Jonathan Estrin once said,The way we spend our time defines who we are.”

A modern day version of the quote could be, “The amount we spend to buy our ‘time machines’ also defines who we actually are.”

Using my spare time,
Horax (Casper)

First published at seekmediation.com on 04 July 2024.

Please share your valuable thoughts and views with us in the Comments section below.

9 comments

• Wg Cdr Avinash Gupta (Retd)

July 4, 2024 at 4:21 am

Very aptly narrated…some good information on metallurgy and leads to Google about Titanium alloy Grade 5 and its composition.
    As per media reports they do lot of philanthropic activities. Ambanis are famous for showing off wealth. Anyway, its their money.
    Bhagwan sab ko de. Ameen 💐🙏🙏

याद दिलाती है हमें, ये घड़ी भी।

जिन घड़ियों में क्षण की सुई नहीं होती,
    कितनी धीमी, शिथिल नज़र आती हैं।
    जिन घड़ियों में घँटों के काँटे नहीं होते,
    समय थम सा गया, ऐसी नज़र आती है।

जिन घरों में बच्चे नहीं होते,
    (बिन सेकंड सुई वाली घड़ी की तरह)
    कैसे उदास से नज़र आते हैं।
    जिन घरों में बड़े नहीं होते,
    (बिन घंटों की सुई वाली घड़ी की तरह)
    परिप्रेक्ष्य से विहीन नज़र आते हैं।

निरंतर चलते रहना ज़िन्दगी है,
    फलसफा बता देती है हमें।

©️विपिन ‘इलाहाबादी’
    १६ जनवरी २०२२

• AVM SK Sharma

July 4, 2024 at 5:52 am

I fully agree with the gist of your article but that is how the present generation operates depending on the wealth in their or their parent’s pockets. 👍👍🙏🙏

• Pradeep H

July 4, 2024 at 6:03 am

My 52 year old watch still works 😁 HMT Jawahar. During my college days I did an experiment for six months by not wearing watch n not asking anyone around me for the time. Can you believe that I used to go by feel and wasn’t off by five minutes.
    Incidentally, I still don’t have that kind of money n don’t desire to have.

• VP

July 4, 2024 at 6:15 am

Very apt piece of views and expression. I fully endorse your befitting critique please.
    Regards

• Amit RJ

July 4, 2024 at 6:42 am

I do wonder how the person sporting such an exclusive piece of time keeping jewelry and its makers feel about the news being reported through such a common platform as the Hindustan Times or the Instagram.
    Nothing shy of Town And Country or The Robb Report should be used for reporting such an ostentatious display of pelf.

• Your Punjabi Friend

July 4, 2024 at 8:02 am

TIMEX Jewellery indeed !!
    Do their personal freebies bother them at all ??
    Otherwise Jina time viyaah nu khich rhey ney … hun tak bacha vi ho jana sii 🤣🤣

• Ashwini K Channan

July 4, 2024 at 5:52 pm

Ostentatiousness is best seen in that architectural horror that resembles a stack of boxes piled on each other on Peddar Road.

Honestly, a cosy cottage up in the hills would be ideal abode. By the way, haven’t worn a watch since 2012 as the mobile, the Tissot watches presented by the family sits in the cupboard, worn occasionally. Can’t annoy my VIPs

• Capt. Ajay Malik

July 4, 2024 at 6:13 pm

All my watches are gifted and I just see the intent behind it, not the price tag.